Our Orthopaedic Department at Santhwana Hospital Thiruvananthapuram is well-staffed, well-equipped and provides round-the-clock service to the patients. The doctors are highly trained and qualified and are capable of providing wide range of services in both elective and emergency orthopaedic services.
Within the unit we provide, sub-specialty oriented services such as shoulder surgery, knee surgery, foot and ankle surgery, spinal surgery, and paediatric orthopaedics. We carry out elective joint arthroplasties of the hip and knee joints on a routine basis in state of the art laminar flow theatres. We also provide sports medicine related surgeries such as shoulder arthroscopy, knee arthroscopy and ankle arthroscopy, and we have up-to-date instrumentation.
Department of Orthopedics at Santhwana Hospital caters to needs of patients ranging from newborn infants with birth fractures to geriatric population with geriatric trauma as well as problems related to arthritis and osteoporosis.
The services as well as facilities provided by the department are as follows
Emergency trauma surgery
- Dislocation of joints
- Soft tissue injuries
- Osteoporotic fractures
- Spinal injuries.
- Arthroscopic Surgery of the shoulder
- Knee and ankle joints
- Hip and knee arthroplastic surgery incluiding partial replacement and revision surgery
- Sports medicine and ligament reconstructive surgeries
- Spinal surgeries such as microscopic discectomy, spinal instrumentation, cervical discetomy, scilotic correction
- Soft tissue reconstructions
- Hand surgeries such as reconstruction, tendon repair, tendon transfer
- Minor bone tumor surgeries.
- There are various advanced diagnostic and therapeutic modalities, equipment and interventions in the department. The department is closely linked with Radiology and the Physiotherapy Departments.
- The Radiology Department offers us services such as X-ray, CT scan, MRI scan and ultrasound scan.
- The Physiotherapy Department which caters mainly to orthopedic patient group provides treatment modalities such as ultrasound treatment, laser treatment, inferential therapy, TENS machine, continue passive motion machine for joint arthroplasty, etc.
- The department itself has facilities such as
- Administration of intra-articular injections in a separate procedure room
- Designated plaster room for plaster and splint treatment
- A state of the art arthroscopy equipment with accessories
- Laminar flow theatre
- Fracture table
- Image intensifier
- Operating microscope