The Department of Internal Medicine at Santhwana Hospital, Thiruvananthapuram, offers comprehensive care for patients for all ages, providing primary care services for a wide range of health problems. Our services span from general diagnosis to therapeutic care to preventive healthcare.
We provide diagnosis, treatment and management of a range of medical conditions including
- Chronic obstructive airway disease and other lung conditions
- Cardiovascular and heart problems
- Gastric and kidney problems
- Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)
- Rheumatic conditions
- These are just to name a few.
- The services provided by the department include:
- Consultation of routine health problems and illness
- Emergency services
- Management of chronic health problems (such as high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma, migraine)
- Periodic health checkup and preventive health care
- All types of vaccinations and adult immunizations.
- The department has a pulmonary division which is specialized in the detection, management and specialization of all kinds of respiratory diseases. It is fully equipped to perform
- Pulmonary function studies
- Fiber-optic bronchoscopy
- Bronchoalveolar lavage
These studies and tests help the physicians for the immediate assessment and management of patients with respiratory disease.
The department has the skills, experience and equipment to perform a wide range of services. The internists (internal medicine specialist physicians) are highly experienced and with the support of a team of general physicians, qualified nurses and trained paramedics, deliver competent and compassionate care to our patients.
Division of Pulmonology
The Pulmonology division of the Internal Medicine Department deals with the detection, management and follow up of all types of respiratory diseases. It aims at providing the highest standards of pulmonory care to both out patients and in patients. Supported by the state of the art equipments, the division provides comprehensive pulmonory care by both invasive and non invasive means.
Scope of services
This will include diagnosis and management of patients mainly but is not restricted to
- Bronchila Asthma
- Allergic disorders
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases like chronic bronchitis and emphysema
- Interstitial lung diseases
- Cystic fibrosis
- Lung abscess
- Pulmonary and extra pulmonory tuberculosis
- MDR and XDR TB
- Sleep apnea and sleep disordered breathing
- Diseases of the Pleura
- Pulmonory tiirombo embolism
- Pulmonory malignancies
Diagnostic and therapeutic modalities
Supported by physicians with extensive international experience and excellent academic profile combined with well experienced supportive staff, the division offers the following services
- Routine out patient consultations
- Consultation services to other departments
- Pre operative pulmonory assessment
- Pulmonory function tests are routinely carried out. Pulmonory function studies both in pre and post Bronchodilator states
- Intra dermal allergic tests with various allergens are carried out routinely. Almost all the locally relevant allergens are available for testing followed by expert analysis and institution of specific Immunotherapy.
- The division is equipped with state of the art facilities for the full night sleep study – Polysomnography – To establish various sleep disorders and 1–iypoventilation syndromes. We have CPAP titration facility to determine the correct level of CPAP support to treat obstructive sleep apneas.
- Equipped with most advanced Olympus – Lucera – CF – H260AL – Fiber optic Bronchoscope, the division routinely carries out Bronchoscopy, Brushing. Biopsy and lavage procedures.
- Inpatient care is offered to patients with different respiratory diseases like bronchitis, exacerbation of COPD, Bronchial asthma, Pneumonias and Pleural effusion.