The Department of Otorhinolaryngology (ENT) at Santhwana Hospital Trivandrum aims to provide comprehensive solutions to patients with ear, nose and throat problems.
The department has highly qualified and experienced specialists, who provide treatment as per international standards. Most of the surgeries are done on a day care basis and are offered as minimally invasive surgeries that are less painful. The ENT surgeons team up with neurosurgeons to perform skull base surgeries, many of which are done by endoscopic technique.
Cochlear implants and BAHA surgeries for patients who have congenital or acquired hearing loss are also performed.
A cochlear implant (CI) is a surgically implanted electronic device that provides a sense of sound to a person who is profoundly deaf or severely hard of hearing in both ears. Cochlear implants bypass the normal hearing process; they have a microphone and some electronics that reside outside the skin, generally behind the ear, which transmits a signal to an array of electrodes placed in the cochlea, which stimulate the cochlear nerve.
We are the First Hospital in India to have the Cochlear Implant surgery successfully performed on a 10 month old infant.
Well trained Audiologists and Speech Therapists handle diagnostic audiology and provide speech therapy to pediatric and adult patients
Treatments and Procedures:
A. Outpatient procedures :
- Routine Consultation
- Diagnostic Nasal Endoscopy
- Diagnostic Laryngoscopy \ Oesopanoscopy
- Diagnostic Otoendoscopy \ Otomicroscopy
- Antral Wash Foreign Body Removal from Ear, Nose and Throat, Cerumen Removal from Ear
- Vestibular Functional Assessment, Vestibular Rehabilitation Manouvers
- Hearing assessment, Speech Evaluation & Therapy
- Fine needle aspiration biopsy of head and neck tumors
- Punch biopsy
B. In patient surgical procedures :
- Myringotomy and Grommet Insertion
- SETTU Surgery
- Endoscopic Sinus surgery
- Endoscopic Control of Epistaxis
- Foreign Body removal from Bronchus and Oesophagus by flexible Scopy
- Microlaryngeal surgeries for laryngeal lesions
- Tympanoplasties- including Mastoidectomy
- Stapes surgery
- Head and Neck Minor and Major Cases
- Extended endoscopic sinus surgery including anterior skull base, CDF rhinorrhea
- Glomus Jugulare Tumor
- Endolymphatic sac decompression
- Facial nerve decompression and grafting
- Endoscopic dacryocystorhinostomy
- Endoscopic management of juvenile angiofibroma
- Parapharyngeal tumor surgery
- Thyroid surgery
- Nasolabial flap, pectoralis major, myocutaneous flap on cancerous and non-cancerous cases.
C. Advanced Diagnostic and Therapeutic Modalities like:
- BERA – Brain stem evoked Response Audiometry
- OAE – Otoacoustic Auditory Emissions
- Sleep Lab for snoring and Sleep Apnoea patients
- Speech therapy is done by our Audiologist and Speech Therapist
D. SETTU Surgery for Snoring
- SETTU Surgery is a revolutionary procedure involving the combination of 5 procedures:
- Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
E. Other Facilities
- Multiple problems like deviated Nasal Septum, Spurs, Concha Bullosa, Sinusitis, Sinonasal Polyposis, Tonsillar Hypertrophy, Elongated Uvula and Redundant Soft Palate are effectively and successfully dealt with a single surgery instead of the need for multiple surgeries yielding excellent post-operative results.